SPRING & SUMMER DREAMS
Projects we would like to see happen at the Murphy Shelter include adding safety and beauty to the property and house. Below is a list of projects we are working on and encourage volunteers and supporters to help us make these goals a reality!
1. Adding a retaining wall, grading, and paving to expand our driveway/parking in front of the office
2. Adding outdoor lighting for our American Flag
3. Creating flower boxes to encircle the trees in the front yard.
4. Adding an accessible bathroom for non-resident guests in need of a shower.
5. Replacing all the wooden bunkbed frames with sturdy metal ones - we still need 10 more twin sized bunkbed frames!
These projects require sponsorship in the form of skilled volunteer service, supplies, and management. If you would like to support these projects, please contact the house manager, Peggy.
Current Wish List
Reusable/spill proof water bottles
High protein foods, perishable and non such as granola snack, PB crackers, milk, eggs, cheese, meat (canned or not)
- Office staples such as printer paper, paper clips, post-it notes, etc.
- Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D)
- iPhone and Android phone chargers and wall blocks
- Paper Towels
- Disinfectant wipes
- Bottled water and flavor packs
- Cooking oil, butter, flour, sugar
- Small/compact fridge (dorm size or smaller)
- Cots and/or new mats for cold weather program
- Twin sized sheet sets, preferably light colored
- Full/Queen sized sheet sets, preferably light colored
- Bath Towels
- Small Shower Caddies
News & Upcoming events
We work hard to get our efforts noticed by the media and are so proud when this goal comes to fruition. A well informed community is an empowered one as well, so take a look at some of the latest coverage we’ve received below and help spread the word about all the amazing developments and events connected with the Murphy Homeless Shelter.
The Murphy Homeless Shelter continues to serve the homeless population. The following numbers show the amount of residents served in February 2020:
Total nights served: 656
Total residents 29
Residents permanently housed 4
Additional Cold night people served 62
Nov. 2, 2021
Murphy Shelter Receives 10K Grant From Asheville Foundation
WNC Bridge Foundation Makes New Laundry Facilities Possible
Murphy, NC: The Murphy Homeless Shelter (aka Hurlburt Johnson Friendship House) is excited to announce that they have been chosen as a recipient of a 2021 NOW Support grant from the WNC Bridge Foundation. These grants are designed to support a range of projects, and the shelter has an urgent need for more laundry facilities. When the shelter is at full capacity, it is very difficult for residents to get their clothing washed and dried, since the shelter has only one washer and dryer. The shelter plans to expand the laundry facilities to include more appliances. An exterior porch will be converted for this purpose.
Scott Buchanan, President and CEO of WNC Bridge Foundation said “WNC Bridge Foundation is honored to support the work of the Murphy Homeless Shelter’s mission of providing safe housing by awarding funds to upgrade its laundry facility. Renovations will allow residents to easily access commercial quality washers and dryers, even when the shelter is not open”. The board of directors at the shelter realized the need and applied for the grant in order to make their vision possible. “This upgrade has been needed for a very long time, and we trust it will be a blessing for years to come” said board president Pastor Tim Huff.
The WNC Bridge Foundation, based out of Asheville, serves as a catalyst for positive change throughout the 18 counties they serve in Western North Carolina, including Cherokee County.
Check out more Hurlburt Johnson Friendship House articles.